Advanced VX 8" Edge HD w/12lb Counterweight
Click to find out more about our points program and save big!
Click to find out more about our low price promise
Celestron Advanced VX 8" EdgeHD Telescope
The Advanced VX (AVX) sets a standard in mid-level telescopes, providing many of the features found on Celestron’s most sophisticated German equatorial mounts at an extremely affordable price. The Advanced VX 8” EdgeHD telescope combines the groundbreaking new Advanced VX mount with Celestron’s best optics, the EdgeHD optical system. This setup offers the astroimager maximum versatility – allowing up to 3 different f-stop configurations.
Users can attach a camera to the rear of the telescope and shoot at f/10 or attach our 8” EdgeHD focal reducer to shoot at f/7. Additionally, EdgeHD is Fastar/Hyperstar compatible, giving imagers the option to shoot at ultra-fast f/2. No matter which configuration you choose, EdgeHD technology gives you pinpoint stars all the way to the edge of the CCD sensor.
The Advanced VX mount is designed to provide superior performance while taking advantage of Celestron’s most advanced technologies: All-Star Polar Alignment, Celestron PWI telescope control software, SkyAlign, and permanently programmable periodic error correction (PPEC).
If you’re an experienced imager, you’ll love taking this portable mount to a dark sky site and enjoying all the conveniences of a larger observatory mount. Or, if you’re new to imaging, Advanced VX will help you get started with the hobby and keep up with your needs for years to come.
Computerized German Equatorial mount - The Advanced VX is the smallest of Celestron’s German equatorial mounts. The computerized GoTo capability automatically tracks objects as they move across the night sky. The Advanced VX mount includes ports for a hand control, an autoguider, and 2 AUX ports for optional accessories. The NexStar+ hand control gives you instant access to all the functions your mount has to offer. With automatic slewing and menu descriptions, astronomers of all skill levels can master this mount in just a few observing sessions. The Advanced VX also has an impressive tripod for its class with 2”-diameter steel tripod legs, providing an extra-wide stance for improved stability.
Payload capacity - The payload capacity for the Advanced VX is 30 pounds. It offers a sturdy platform for the 9.25” EdgeHD optical tube, even when paired with optional accessories like StarSense AutoAlign, Focus Motor, a finderscope, and a camera. Celestron's payload capacity does not include the weight of the counterweights.
Dual saddle plate - As of early 2019, Advanced VX mounts include a dual saddle plate that accommodates both CG-5 and CGE-style dovetails. Switching between the two saddle plates is as simple as moving the hand knobs into a separate set of holes. This means you can use your Advanced VX mount not only with the 9.25” EdgeHD, but virtually any optical tube within Advanced VX’s weight limit. The mount is compatible with Vixen format dovetails 100mm or longer, but not compatible with Losmandy D format plates (regardless of plate manufacturer).
The revolutionary EdgeHD optical design produces aberration-free images with pinpoint stars all the way to the edge of the field-of-view of today’s largest imaging sensors and wide-field eyepieces. EdgeHD’s unique design virtually eliminates both field curvature and off-axis coma, providing an astrograph-quality system.
- Celestron PWI Telescope Control: Your Ultimate Astronomy Software - All current Celestron computerized telescopes include Celestron PWI (CPWI), the most advanced astronomy software provided with any consumer-grade telescope. Celestron’s experts co-developed CPWI with the engineers at PlaneWave Instruments. The result is an all-in-one solution offering you many of the same features used on PlaneWave’s observatory-class telescopes.
- Graphical planetarium interface with PointXP advanced mount modeling allows you to add 100+ points to your alignment model for the most accurate pointing and tracking possible
- Ideal for remote observatory setups: save and re-load your alignment and park your scope
- Provides a complete ASCOM telescope interface to allow control of the telescope from third party software applications
- For more information on CPWI and to see the user interface, click here.
- Starry Night Software - Also included with your purchase is a free download of Celestron’s Starry Night Special Edition Software. This advanced software by Simulation Curriculum offers detailed information about celestial objects and helps you plan your next observing or imaging session. The Special Edition software also includes telescope control via your PC.
- Two-year warranty
- 8” (203.2mm) f/10 EdgeHD includes StarBright XLT coatings for better light transmission
- EdgeHD optical design fully corrects for coma and field curvature, delivering a truly flat field
- The most compact and portable of Celestron’s German equatorial mounts offers the same rigidity as our larger mounts with minimal flexure and an improved industrial design
- Holds a maximum instrument capacity of 30 lb
- Every feature an astroimager wants: PEC, an autoguider port, the ability to image across the meridian, and more
- Dual saddle plate is compatible with narrow CG-5 dovetails and wider CGE dovetail. Also compatible with Vixen format dovetails longer than 100mm, but not compatible with Losmandy D format plates.
- Latitude range allows the mount to perform between 7° and 77° latitude
- Accessories included: 40mm eyepiece, 1.25” Star Diagonal, and a 9x50 finder scope
|OPTICAL TUBE INFO:|
|Focal Length||2032mm (80")|
|Focal Length of Eyepiece 1||40mm (1.57")|
|Magnification of Eyepiece 1||51x|
|Star Diagonal||1.25" Star Diagonal|
|Highest Useful Magnification||480x|
|Lowest Useful Magnification||29x|
|Limiting Stellar Magnitude||14|
|Resolution (Rayleigh)||.69 arc seconds|
|Resolution (Dawes)||.57 arc seconds|
|Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye)||843x|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction||64mm (2.5")|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Diameter||31%|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Area||9.77%|
|Optical Coatings||StarBright XLT|
|Optical Tube Length||432mm (17")|
|Optical Tube Diameter||238mm (9.37")|
|Optical Tube Weight||14 lbs (6.35 kg)|
|Dovetail||CG-5 Dovetail bar|
|Mount Type||Computerized Equatorial|
|Instrument load capacity||30 lbs (13.6 kg)|
|Height adjustment range (includes mount and tripod)||1118mm - 1626mm (44" – 64")|
|Tripod Leg Diameter||50.8mm (2") Stainless Steel|
|Latitude adjustment range||7° - 77°|
|Mount Head Weight||17 lbs (7.71 kg)|
|Tripod Weight||18 lbs (8.16 kg)|
|Weight of Counterweights||1 x 12 lbs|
|Slew Speeds||9 slew speeds - max speed 4°/second|
|Tracking Rates||Sidereal, Solar and Lunar|
|Tracking Modes||EQ North & EQ South|
|Dovetail Compatibility||Dual saddle plates (CG-5 and CGE saddle)|
|Number of Auxiliary ports||3 Aux ports (1 hand control and 2 AUX ports for optional accessories|
|USB Port||Yes, input on Hand Control|
|Power Requirements||12V DC 3.5A (tip positive)|
|Motor Drive||DC servo motors|
|Alignment Procedures||2-Star Align, 1-Star Align, Solar System Align, Last Alignment, Quick Align|
|Periodic Error Correction||Yes|
|Computerized Hand Control||2 line x 18 character backlit Liquid Crystal Display, 19 LED backlit buttons, USB 2.0 port for PC connection|
|NexStar+ Database||40,000+ objects, 100 user defined programmable objects. Enhanced information on over 200 objects|
|Software||Celestron's Starry Night Special Edition Software, SkyPortal App|
|Total Kit Weight||61 lbs (27.67 kg)|
|Included Items||Advanced VX Equatorial Head | Tripod | Accessory Tray | 1 x 12 lbs counterweight | NexStar+ Hand Control | DC Power Cable (item# 18769) | Hand Control Holster|
|California Residents||View Proposition 65 Warning|
I have an optical tube equipped with a Losmandy D dovetail mounting plate. Will this work with the improved Advanced VX (AVX) mount?
No, the Losmandy D dovetail plate will not fit the improved AVX mount. The improvement to the AVX mount allows it to be used with CGE format dovetail plates, but not Losmandy D format plates. The CGE and Losmandy D formats are similar, but not exactly the same. Losmandy plates are a millimeter or so wider, but CGE plates allow more surface area contact with the dovetail clamp.
What prevents the Losmandy D plates from working with the improved AVX?
The improved AVX can accept a dovetail with a maximum width of 74.5mm. The Losmandy D plate is a bit wider than that. Also, the improved AVX requires the height of the dovetail undercut to be at least 10.2mm, and the Losmandy D has a dovetail undercut which shorter than that.
So, how do I mount my optical tube with a Losmandy D dovetail plate onto the improved AVX?
You’ll need to replace the Losmandy D dovetail plate with a compatible dovetail plate, such as the Celestron #94214 CGE Universal Mounting Plate.
I have a Losmandy D format dovetail plate, but it is not manufactured by Losmandy. Will it work with the improved AVX?
No, if the dovetail plate uses the Losmandy D format, then it is not compatible with the improved AVX, regardless of the manufacturer of the plate.
I have an optical tube equipped with a Vixen dovetail mounting plate. Will this work with the improved AVX mount?
Yes, the improved AVX, like the original AVX, is compatible with Vixen format dovetail plates. However, the plate must have a dovetail length of 100mm or greater.
Why does my Vixen dovetail, or CG-5 dovetail, need to have a dovetail length of at least 100mm?
The knobs on the AVX that hold the dovetail plate in place are spaced 90mm apart. If the dovetail length is less than 100mm, then both knobs cannot come into contact the dovetail simultaneously. See the below engineering drawing.
My optical tube has a Vixen or CG-5 dovetail plate with a dovetail length of less than 100mm. How do I mount it onto the AVX?
You’ll need to replace the dovetail plate with a compatible dovetail plate, such as the Celestron #94213 Universal Mounting Plate, CG-5.
What is the heaviest recommend load for mounting a camera in the Fastar / HyperStar configuraton?
We recommend a load of no more than 20 lbs. at 4.5 inches away from the 8" Schmidt corrector.